Leafy Greens Salad
In order to get the amount of calcium shown in the nutrition facts, I assume that you will have about 12 ounces of kale left after you trim away the beefier stalks. If you are buying baby kale, you will need about 12 ounces. The other ingredients containing a lot of calcium are the dried figs, so if you substitute raisins or Craisins it will taste great, but it won’t be as nutritious.
- 1 pound kale, arugula, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens or a mixture, washed and sliced into 1/8-1/4″ ribbons
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and grated
- 1 bell pepper, scrubbed and chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 tomatoes, washed and chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 4 sliced or chopped peperoncini or other pickled vegetable
- 8 sliced or chopped olives, such as green olives stuffed with jalapeno and garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped red or green onion
- 7 dried large figs, or about 1 cup, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Apart from the greens and figs, you can substitute any other selection of vegetables that your family enjoys. Place all the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice or your choice of salad dressing. Serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition information (per serving with lemon juice): 183 calories, 2 grams fat, 248 mg sodium, 956 mg potassium, 39 grams carbohydrates, 10 grams fiber, 23 grams sugars, 6 grams protein, 299% Vitamin A, 294% Vitamin C, 21% calcium, 13% iron.